Expiry Date :
Mon, 02 Aug 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
The Analytical Scientist will join a dynamic and rapidly growing R&D team working towards realizing the next generation of ultra-lightweight lithium metal batteries. The primary responsibilities of the Analytical Scientist will be to lead the material characterization and analysis efforts at Cuberg, contribute to an evolving understanding of structure-property-performance relationships, and support the development of advanced electrode and electrolyte materials. The ideal candidate will have expertise in the operation and management of several analytical techniques and will be able to evaluate, select, and develop an appropriate technique to address a specific R&D question. Experience with post-cycling characterization of air- and moisture-sensitive battery materials is desirable. The Analytical Scientist will also be able to interpret the data, effectively communicate the results to the wider R&D team, and help develop a mechanistic understanding of electrochemical performance. Additional responsibilities will include maintaining standard operating procedures and the shared laboratory space.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Analytical Scientist to thrive in a cutting edge, stimulating, and exciting battery R&D environment. Ideal candidates are detail- and process-oriented, are skilled with hands-on lab work, and perform well in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic startup environment.
Join us in building the future of energy.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt’s Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt’s state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
* Lead material characterization and analysis efforts within the R&D team.
* Develop and employ appropriate analytical tools for evaluating compositional and structural properties of both pristine and cycled battery materials and correlate them with electrochemical performance.
* Process characterization data, apply quantification tools, and effectively present results to the wider team.
* Maintain various characterization instruments and troubleshoot any issues promptly.
* Create internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) for relevant techniques.
* Maintain a safe and effective laboratory environment in accordance with EHS policies.
* Perform other functions as required to support the R&D operation.
* M.S. or Ph.D. in a scientific or engineering field (e.g., materials science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related discipline) with 2-5 years of analytical research experience.
* Requires in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with several of the following material characterization techniques: microscopy (SEM, EDX, TEM, EELS, AFM), spectroscopy (Raman, FT-IR, UV-Vis, NMR, ICP-OES), thermal characterization (TGA, DSC, DTA), diffraction and scattering (XRD, SAXS, WAXS, PDF), surface characterization (AES, XPS, XRF, ToF-SIMS), morphological analysis (BET, DLS)
* Experience with post-cycling analysis of battery materials is highly desirable
* Ability to solve complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Strong attention to detail, documentation, and standard operating procedures.
* Has a do-whatever-it-takes attitude, thrives in a fast-paced startup environment, and is capable of delivering project deliverables on time.
We offer a competitive compensation, including generous stock options, and benefits package to help you and your family build a healthy and secure future.
* Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
* A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
* Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave