Bioinformatics Analyst I/II/III (REQ1443)
Frederick National Laboratory
Expiry Date :
Sat, 19 Dec 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
BIOINFORMATICS ANALYST I/II/III
Job ID: req1443
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
LHRI – The Laboratory of Human Retrovirology and Immunoinformatics (LHRI), Clinical Services Program, Applied/Developmental Directorate, has studied mechanism multiple drug resistance (MDR) of HIV and HIV pathogenesis by performing basic and clinical research. The mission of the LHRI is to support NIAID ongoing clinical therapy for HIV-infected patients by investigating the mechanism of immune and viral responses in infected individuals utilizing microbiological, biochemical, and immunological techniques, and bioinformatics analysis.
We are seeking a highly motivated bioinformatics analyst, who will work with a team of bioinformatics scientists in Bioinformatics Section in LHRI to provide collaborative bioinformatics support to the investigators in LHRI and other research laboratories at the ADRD, NIAID, NIH.
* The analysis and interpretation of high-throughput biomedical data generated by next-generation sequencing, microarray, and other platforms
* Keeps up-to-date with analytical methods and software for analyzing high-throughput biomedical data
* Contribute to a team effort in designing, developing and deploying robust workflows, as well as custom scripts, to support the analysis of high-throughput data
* Writes well-documented computer code, conducts code reviews and programming validation as needed
* No experience beyond a BS degree
* Minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible relevant experience is required for candidate with BS degree.
* Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible relevant experience is required for candidate with BS degree.
ALL LEVELS REQUIRE:
* Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (according to CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
* Education and/or work experience in informatics, bioinformatics, information systems, computer science, statistics, molecular biology, genetics or closely related field required
* Strong analytical skills with experience in applying and/or developing methods for analyzing various types of high throughput biomedical data (genomics, transcriptomics) from different platforms (next-generation sequencing, microarrays)
* Competent in using Linux/Unix operating system command line interface.
* Proficiency in at least two of the following programming languages: Perl, Python, R, Java and C/C++
* Familiarity with public databases: NCBI, Ensembl and other databases with different specialty
* A Master or PhD degree in relevant scientific field is preferred
* Work experience in molecular biology, HIV or other viruses is a plus
* Experience with web and database technologies is a plus
* Management of large genomic data sets including integration with data available from public sources
* Record of scientific achievements including journal publications and conference presentations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)