Data Scientist (Applied)
Washington, District of Columbia
Expiry Date :
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
We are seeking an experienced, proactive data scientist to join our newly formed engineering team. An ideal candidate will have experience using computational methods to answer analytical questions in partnership with subject matter experts. We have a particular need for the ability to apply state of the art NLP methods to answer research questions. Example tasks include: event extraction/detection, entity recognition, document classification, and topic modeling. Hands-on experience applying these methods in a marketing/communications setting or for intelligence analysis is also helpful. The ability to communicate findings, build data products, and generate quality visualizations is also critical. As this is a new team, we are looking for candidates who are willing to help grow the organization by taking on a range of responsibilities across the technical spectrum, as well as effectively collaborate to deliver findings to our customers.
The Data Scientist primarily performs, but is not limited to, the following duties:
* Partner with analysts to define research questions and implement data-driven solutions
* Design and implement tools for monitoring and forecasting trends in signals derived from text data
* Work effectively, in an often self-directed environment, to estimate timelines, communicate progress, and identify avenues for future research and development
* Perform analyses and generate detailed data products for internal stakeholders and external clients
* Institute MLOps principles in our software development practices and platform development
* Deliver version-controlled, documented, and reproducible analyses and experiments that can be readily transitioned into scalable inference services
The position may require some on-site work in Northern Virginia for team and client meetings.
Work Experience and Skills
* Degree in computer science, communications, political science, or a related field
* 3+ years of experience in the data science field (this is flexible depending on academic work)
* Proficiency with major Python data science libraries, including the SciPy stack and Scikit-learn
* Experience with at least one deep learning and/or NLP framework (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Transformers, etc.)
* Familiarity with other commonly used technologies including Linux operating systems, SQL/NoSQL databases, etc.
* Ability to use git, as well as other version, workflow, and project management tools and technologies
* Possess strong communications skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely to a range of audiences
* Aptitude for learning quickly and a willingness to take on a wide range of responsibilities
* Experience with other technologies and platforms in our stack, including: Elasticsearch, Kibana, Docker, MLFlow, DVC, Kubernetes, GCP, GitLab
* Prior work in the marketing/communications and/or defense sectors
* Ability to obtain and/or maintain a US government security clearance
Parenthetic is headquartered in Alexandria, VA, and offers a competitive salary, generous and flexible paid time off policy, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a retirement plan with company match.