Data Scientist – Genome Engineering for Infectious Disease
Chan Zuckerberg Biohub
San Francisco, California
Expiry Date :
Sat, 24 Apr 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub ("CZ Biohub) is an independent nonprofit medical research organization based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub supports scientific research to cure, prevent or manage disease in our childrens lifetime. Our mission is to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. We harness the power and possibility of collaboration to drive discovery and set the standard for open, impactful science. For more information, please visit [
As part of a new intramural collaborative effort that spans our Cell Atlas, Infectious Disease, and Technology Initiatives, we seek to comprehensively map how human cells get hijacked and remodeled during viral infection. In this context, we are investing resources and talent in cellular and genome engineering.
We are seeking a Genomics Data Scientist to develop an integrated pipeline for CRISPR genome engineering and enable the development of reporter cell libraries for the cell biology of viral infection. Responsibilities will include building software for the design of CRISPR experiments and the analysis of edited alleles from long-read (PacBio) sequencing, expanding upon our previous collaborative work (including crispycrunch [ for design and knock-knock [ for genome analysis). You will be a key collaborator embedded in our Cell Atlas Intracellular Architecture [ Genomics and Data Science teams. You will also be fully integrated within a collegial multi-disciplinary group that combines genomics, high-throughput live cell imaging, mass-spec proteomics and robotics to decipher the cellular pathways of human diseases.
Want to combine your passion for genomics with your love for data visualization, in an open and collaborative environment? Want to make an impact for the development of new therapeutic strategies in infectious diseases? Join our team!
* Build software to design high-throughput CRISPR gene editing experiments
* Develop algorithms to profile allelic architecture and DNA repair outcomes from deep-sequencing datasets
* Design and prototype interactive tools to share data and results internally and with the whole research community
* Integrate genomics analysis into a wider data pipeline
* Author publications and mentor junior colleagues
* Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, Genome Science or a related field (or . with >4 years hands-on experience in genomics analysis)
* Strong coding and computational skills in Python
* Proven expertise in sequence alignment and mapping for next generation sequencing
* Fluency in genome annotation databases
* Familiarity with relational database design (ex. SQL) and web development (ex. Flask)
* Good understanding of CRISPR genome editing and genome assembly
* A general enthusiasm for systems biology, big datasets, and open-source software
* Must be highly collaborative, team-oriented, and have excellent written and oral communication skills
* Experience with Amazon-based cloud computing is a plus
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world’s leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunters and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.