Data Scientist, Statistical Genetics
Manhattan, New York
Expiry Date :
Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Gencove is taking low-pass sequencing to population-scale and is hiring a Data Scientist to be a key member of this effort.
At Gencove, we develop software and algorithms for processing genomic data at scale. We use Python/R for research, and deploy to production with Python/C++ on the AWS ecosystem.
The role entails developing statistical models for low-pass sequencing, data analysis of genetic data from a wide variety of different species, and owning the deployment of resulting features to production. Specific knowledge of low pass sequencing and its applications is less critical, however, than strong research skills and a demonstrated history of accomplishment. The ideal candidate will have a strong quantitative background and experience working with genomic data at scale.
Successful candidates must be able to work effectively both in a collaborative setting and independently, and possess outstanding communication skills.
The candidate will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment of an early stage startup company.
* Masters degree or higher in a quantitative field (computer science, statistics, physics, computational biology, etc.), PhD preferred
* Demonstrated strong programming skills in Python, C++, or similar
* A strong grasp of basic concepts in statistics and genetics
* Experience working with genomic data at scale
* Proficiency working in a *nix environment
* Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
* A commitment to scientific rigor and eagerness to learn
* 3-5 years of experience in genomics