Ecology Camp Counselor 2
The City of Evanston Parks and Recreation Department
Expiry Date :
Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
June 1st- June 4th, 2021 Staff training week
June 7th July 30th, 2021 – Camp Sessions
Additional employment dates may be available between August 2nd-13th, 2021 but are not required
General Task Statement:
Responsible for the supervision and safety of children ages 5-13 and basic camp day instruction; including planning and leading of games, activities and science/nature education to these children. Responsible for the supervision of assistant counselors and volunteers. Responsible for communication with the camp director/program coordinator concerning these individuals.
Under the supervision of the Camp Director and Ecology Program Coordinator
Starting at $11.75/ hour
Essential Functions Task Statements:
* Attend mandatory staff training sessions the week of June 1st- June 4th.
* Instruct program activities and games for camp participants
* Responsible for the safety of individuals in camp
* Supervise and lead participants in daily camp activities and field trips may include overnight camping, canoeing and fishing.
* Assist in the management and evaluation of volunteers
* Assist in the management and evaluation of assistant counselors
* Responsible for effective and appropriate communication to caregivers regarding
* participant progress and behavior within program setting
* Attend staff meetings as scheduled by camp director/program coordinator
* Enforce late pick up policy and ensure all participants are properly dismissed to caregiver
* Responsible for care and maintenance of camp equipment and storage areas
* Complete written reports such as accident, incident and the like on a timely basis
* Communicate to supervisor(s) if there are problems or issues needing special attention.
* Performs other duties as assigned by camp director, camp assistant directors or program manager
* Experience working with children
* At least 1 year experience working in a camp setting
* High school diploma or GED
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with complex problems
* Ability to read staff manuals, memoranda, and attendance sheets
* Ability to complete attendance sheets, accident reports, incident reports and camper behavior reports using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, and style.
* Ability to give verbal direction to subordinates, communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, citizens, and the public as well as other employees; speaking extemporaneously on a variety of subjects.
* Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work.
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a persons race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at (voice) or (TTY).