Ecology Camp Director
The City of Evanston Parks and Recreation Department
Expiry Date :
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
May 24th-May 28th 2021– Camp Director Training Week
June 1st- June 4th, 2021 All camp staff training week
June 7th July 30th, 2021– Camp Sessions
Additional dates may be available between August 2nd-13th, 2021
General Task Statement:
Responsible for the supervision and safety of children ages 5-13 attending nature based summer camp. Directors will be responsible for instructing camp activities; including the planning and leading of science/nature education, activities and games to these children. Directors are responsible for the supervision of counselors, assistant counselors and volunteers. Responsible for communication with the camp coordinator and program coordinators concerning these individuals and camp incidents.
Starting at $17.75 per/hr.
Under the supervision of the Ecology Program Coordinator
* Attend mandatory staff training sessions the week of June 1st June 4th
* Plan and instruct program activities and games for camp participants relating to camp theme
* Responsible for the safety of individuals in camp
* Supervise and lead participants in daily camp activities and field trips may include overnight camping, canoeing and fishing.
* Assist in the management and evaluation of counselors
* Assist in the management and evaluation of volunteers
* Assist in the management and evaluation of assistant counselors
* Responsible for effective and appropriate communication to caregivers regarding participant progress and behavior within program setting
* Attend staff meetings as scheduled by program coordinator
* Enforce late pick up policy and ensure all participants are properly dismissed to caregiver
* Responsible for care and maintenance of camp equipment and storage areas
* Complete written reports such as accident, incident and the like on a timely basis
* Responsible for maintenance of all camp paperwork.
* Communicate to supervisor(s) if there are problems or issues needing special attention.
* Performs other duties as assigned by program coordinator
* Bachelors degree or working towards Bachelors in Education, Environmental Education, Outdoor Education or related discipline.
* Experience working with children
* At least 1 year experience working in a camp setting
* High school diploma or GED
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with complex problems
* Ability to read staff manuals, memoranda, and attendance sheets
* Ability to complete attendance sheets, accident reports, incident reports and camper behavior reports using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, and style.
* Ability to give verbal direction to subordinates, communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, citizens, and the public as well as other employees; speaking extemporaneously on a variety of subjects.
* Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work.
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a persons race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at (voice) or (TTY).