Marrone Bio Innovations
Expiry Date :
Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
MAIN OFFICE – DAVIS, CA
4 Year Degree
Marrone Bio Innovations is seeking a student intern for the Microbiology and Plant Pathology Department to assist with laboratory studies related to the development of microbial biopesticides. The intern will support scientists in a variety of laboratory experimentation as required, with a focus on general microbiology and molecular biology techniques. This is a part-time Intern position, working less than 30 hours a week. No benefits are available for this position except 401(k) and sick time. This position reports to the Group Leader within the department.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Culture and isolation of microbes using general liquid and solid media as well as selective media.
* Perform DNA extractions from microbes and plants
* Perform quantitative PCR, conventional PCR and analyze results with gel electrophoresis
* Analyze samples using Qubit and NanoDrop
* Assist with other general microbiology and molecular biology techniques
* Prepare materials needed for experiments such as various types of media, buffers, etc.
* Record data and results in an organized fashion.
* Keep the laboratory clean and organized (clean glassware, growing containers, benches, and floors as needed).
* Other duties as assigned
Working towards a bachelor’s degree in biological science. Preferably, an emphasis in microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology or a related field.
* Hands-on lab experience (through class or internship) is preferred.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
* Ability to utilize excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Ability to showcase flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking, prioritization and organization skills
* Ability to use MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) in a proficient manner
* Ability to work at least 15 hours per week during the school year; work schedule will be determined upon hire
Required to sit or stand for long periods. Frequently required to walk. Occasionally required to climb, stoop, or bend and lift 30+/- pounds.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.