Lead Research & Development Scientist
Expiry Date :
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
FreshFry is a food-tech company, founded in 2014 by two engineers who saw the opportunity to transform plant waste into meaningful products for the world. The FreshFry Pod, which launched the company, was the first of its kind. A self-contained, easy to use all-natural adsorbent that required no equipment. Restaurants spend over $80B on frying oil annually and give the messiest job to the lowest paid people. FreshFry is currently sold nationally and will enter into five international markets within the calendar year
This role is for a Lead Scientist who believes that waste should be transformed to added value products. You should also be open to getting true feedback, because they understand, like the founders, to create meaningful and innovative products you must constantly be in a customer feedback loop. You are fueled by curiosity and ready to conduct real-time experiments because that is where developments happen.
The role requires a balance of product and material development. Youll be building technical expertise in plant-based adsorbents, with a focus of product performance in cooking oils and fats. You will be a resource to FreshFry, continuously improving initiatives and commercialization efforts to bring more environmentally friendly products to market.
Initially you will be helping our near-term product development, working with the CEO. Over time, you define the growth of FreshFry technology, development and will be critical in the execution of strategic partnership accounts. As the Lead Scientist you will own the creation of our technical team, leading them to develop products for untapped markets.
Product Development: (70%) You should work to understand the consumer and translate their needs into products and features that they value. At FreshFry, we are building quantitative and qualitative modeling tools to define what the consumer needs as well as the technical requirements necessary to build something amazing. You would be responsible for the development and oversight of chemical based product designs.
Material Development: (30%) You will be researching new raw material technologies so we can meet our customers needs with the highest quality and within the target cost. Youll use technical expertise to ensure product feasibility, while collaborating with our Food Safety lead for adherence to regulatory, company policies, good manufacturing, and food safety requirements.
Joining us means:
* Working for a complex and exciting business, simultaneously operating as a product supplier, oil-management developer, manufacturing, and big-data extractor.
* Respecting those who work within the foodservice industry
* Being challenged to improve every day with a diversely skilled team
* Being a decision maker and owner of your domain
* Joining in our mission to forever change the way people view the back of a kitchen
* A self-starter with a demonstrated desire to learn new skills, and grow both business and personal capacity
* An ability to be very hands on, flexible, and thrive in a team-oriented environment
* Proven ability in conducting independent research
* Proven ability to grow an idea to a concept/Minimum Viable Product
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic (read: sometimes chaotic) startup environment
* Ability to travel as needed
* Routine for documentation and staying organized
* Ability to conduct experiments in a safe and environmentally responsible manner
* Very strong analytical, critical-thinking, and troubleshooting skill
* Enjoy working (effectively) with little or no supervision
* Bachelors in Chemistry or Materials Science or STEM related field with research experience
* 3-5 years experience on a research team working on either commercialization or commercialized product roadmaps
Highly Valued Experience:
* Strong inorganic/material chemistry with proven ability to conduct solid & liquid characterization on known/unknown materials
* Proven ability to direct & conduct experiments from gram scale to kilogram scale
* Experience setting and maintaining research budgets
* Analytical chemistry (XRD, BET, SEM, TGA, etc.) as well as DOE experience
* Experience in development of novel materials & navigating patents
* Experience in pursuing, applying and conducting grant-backed research
* Experience with partnering with Universities for joint research + instrumentation is a huge plus
* Long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
* May have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests
* May find the environment to be busy, noisy and will need excellent organizational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks
* May have to enter manufacturing environment and wear designated PPE as required
* May have exposure to loud noises and moving machinery while in manufacturing setting
* Regularly required to sit
* Use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear
* Frequently required to reach with hands and arms
* Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
* Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
* Close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, short/long term disability & exciting bonus structures.
Since you are on the ground floor of a rapidly accelerating start-up, our success is linked directly to your success.
FreshFry is committed to developing a work environment that is reflective of the diverse world that it serves. Applicants from all populations and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Consideration for employment will be given to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, gender identity/sexual orientation, age or ability.