Postdoctoral Experimental Researcher – Magnetic Drive Systems for Magneto-Inertial Fusion
Expiry Date :
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
We have an opening for a POSTDOCTORAL EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCHER – MAGNETIC DRIVE SYSTEMS FOR MAGNETO-INERTIAL FUSION to advance the science and engineering of magnetic drive systems for magneto-inertial fusion and other high energy density science (HEDS) experiments on the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will develop pulsed, single-shot high-field magnets and associated pulsed power systems for magnetizing NIF targets at up to 50T as part of a multidisciplinary team exploring the use of magnetic fields to improve NIF implosion performance for ignition ( In addition, you will develop this system for magnetizing targets used for high neutron and x-ray sources, Discovery Science experiments and magnetized liner inertial fusion research. This position is within the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division within the Engineering Directorate.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
* Design and execute experiments on NIF magnetic pulsed power systems to develop innovative high-field magnets for a variety of magneto-inertial fusion and HED NIF targets, including cryogenic targets, as part of a multidisciplinary team.
* Design, build, and commission new pulsed power systems, components, and diagnostics for increasing NIF magnetic field capability as part of a multidisciplinary team.
* Analyze and interpret electrical, optical, thermal performance data, leverage simulation and modeling tools in partnership with team members, to draw conclusions and plan experiments that improve understanding of electrical, material, and debris and shrapnel dynamic behaviors in high-field pulsed magnets, in order to enable a reliable high-field capability for the NIF.
* Collaborate with scientists, researchers, and engineers to accomplish research goals.
* Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
* Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
* Perform other duties as assigned.