Principal Engineer Image Scientist
Expiry Date :
Fri, 06 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Principal Engineer- Image Scientist
Company: Ball Aerospace
Fairborn, OH, US, 45432
Date: Oct 5, 2020
Job Category: Engineering/ Technical
Req. ID: 4951
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Systems Engineering Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides advanced systems engineering and technology applications for intelligence and information enterprises. These applications and solutions deliver enterprise data management, data analytics, modeling and simulation, and technology assessment capabilities that are used to create products that offer actionable information in support of warfighters and decision makers.
Position is contingent upon contract award
Principal Engineer- Image Scientist
What You’ll Do:
* Work both independently and in a team environment to apply technical expertise in one or more areas across multiple programs of varying complexity
* Responsible for guiding design and execution of advanced technological concepts on small to large-sized, complex projects
* Serve as organizational spokesperson, primary customer interface, and advisor on advanced technical applications
* Apply, interpret, and innovate advanced engineering or scientific theories, concepts, and techniques
* Develop or direct the development of solutions to complex technical problems where little or no precedent exists and innovation is required
* Document research through technical briefings, reports, and papers
* Actively engage in business development by leading and contributing to group efforts to develop and document technical solutions in white papers and proposals
* Maintain an understanding of the expertise available within our organization and among our corporate partners to define strategies that offer our customers the best possible technical solutions
* Collaborates with people at all levels and with outside customers, able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed, provide leadership and guidance to program activities and senior level team members.
* Design sensor collection strategies for existing sensors to develop new intelligence products. Includes modeling spectral signatures of targets of interest including atmospheric effects and sensor behavior to determine the expected signature and design optimal collection strategies.
* Characterize the performance of advanced EO remote sensing systems and relate sensor characteristics to the performance of automated and manual detection, classification, and characterization of targets.
* Analyze EO payload hardware, viewing geometry, and data processing specifications and relate to desired mission need and intelligence utility
* Evaluate quality of imagery and intelligence products, assess performance of remote sensing algorithms, and recommend improvements to existing collection configurations and processing workflows.
* Apply rigorous statistical methods and analysis to data collected from a variety of sensors to ensure findings are complete and accurate.
* Develop signal and image processing algorithms for remote sensor data processing and exploitation. Optimize performance of existing algorithms.
* Characterize geolocation uncertainty of EO remote sensing systems and relate geolocation performance to factors such as viewing geometry.
* Analyze utility of and rapidly develop applications for multi-spectral and hyper-spectral sensor data
* Develop, enhance, test, evaluate, and integrate scientific algorithms in high-level scientific computing languages (MATLAB, Python, IDL). Experience with object-oriented programming, C/C++, Java, application development, a plus.
* Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
* Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
* BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
* Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
* Preferred: Master’s degree with twelve years or PhD with ten years of experience and a Top Secret clearance.
* Ability to communicate effectively through verbal presentations and report writing.
* Strong Science and Math foundation
* Programming skills with preference on high-level scripting languages such as Matlab, Interactive Data Language (IDL), or Python
* Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
* May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
* May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
* Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Dayton