Programming Languages Researcher
Expiry Date :
Fri, 14 May 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
STR is seeking a Programming Languages Researcher to be part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers and engineers dedicated to developing cutting-edge technologies with significant and immediate impact on our national security. We believe that each employee has a unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives that are essential to providing our customers with innovative solutions. We are looking for a Researcher with versatile skills in programming languages, software analysis, or formal methods to help us advance the state of the art.
The ideal Programming Languages Researcher will be curious and motivated to work within a team structure to develop technical solutions in a rapid prototyping and results-driven environment. Our culture enables us to develop impactful technologies through collaborative teamwork, while maintaining high standards of craftsmanship and quality.
We encourage candidates who are comfortable identifying and applying advanced computer science concepts to software security applications; some examples including: using SAT/SMT solvers to synthesize secure configurations, designing and implementing novel static analyses to verify complex properties of software systems, and designing domain specific languages for secure software construction. The strongest candidates will have prior Principal Investigator experience developing novel research approaches from conception to writing and winning competitive research proposals to leading execution by small research teams.
We expect the tools and techniques we develop and deliver to meet high standards of quality, maintainability, and reuse. Therefore, experience with sound software engineering principles and software unit test methodologies is valuable.
_Duties will include:
* _Apply your knowledge of programming languages, program analysis, or formal methods to develop high-assurance cyber-security technology solutions_
* _Lead small research teams to design domain specific languages or custom static analyses for secure software/system construction_
* _Collaborate effectively with a wide range of technical experts to meet customer objectives_
* _Develop research concepts from proposal through to implementation and transition_
* _Delivering high-quality software in a team environment_
* _Communicate technical ideas and implementations through reports and presentations_
* Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) Security Clearance
* MS or PhD in Computer Science or a related field
* Proficiency in one or more functional programming languages, such as Rust, Scala, ML, Racket, Common Lisp, Haskell
* Motivated collaborator and effective communicator to both technical and non-technical audiences
* Proficiency with SAT/SMT solvers or model checking techniques
* Expertise in static program analysis
Desired Skills and Experience
* Active Security Clearance
* Experience designing type systems and building type checkers
* Experience building language runtimes and related software, such as garbage collectors
* Development of domain specific languages
* Understanding of and experience with modern compilers, such as LLVM, GCC, and/or MSVC, including knowledge of intermediate compiler representations (e.g., LLVM) and virtualization
* Knowledge of operating system internals including memory/process/thread management
* Experience performing static/dynamic/symbolic program analysis
* Application of formal methods to security to build high-assurance solutions
* Experience developing research concepts from proposal through implementation and transition
* Proficiency building and deploying software
* Experience using collaborative source code management tools (Git, Subversion)
STR is a rapidly growing technology company with locations north of Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and near Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
We’re not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can’t do it alone, though – we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe!
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at and provide your name, phone number and email address.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws