RD Scientist, Analytical Research
Reynolds American Inc.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Expiry Date :
Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Job Number: 30123
Reynolds American Incorporated is positively transforming the tobacco industry.
We re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. T
future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are
redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At Reynolds
American, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other
growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and
total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British
American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco
Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC;
Modoral Brands, Inc.; R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing
Company, LLC; Reynolds Brands, Inc.; and Vuse Stores LLC. This position is with
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (2004).
Here, you ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionar
products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people
R&D Scientist Next Generation Product Development & Discovery
Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) is the parent company of R.J. Reynolds
Tobacco Company; American Snuff Company LLC.; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company,
Inc., and R.J. Reynolds Vapor Company. RAI is a wholly owned subsidiary of
British American Tobacco (BAT).
The employees of RAI and its subsidiaries are committed to innovation with
purpose: transforming the tobacco industry. Our employees are invited and
expected to think and act boldly – and are rewarded for it. Our people drive
the innovation and ignite the thought leadership that is transforming an entire
We offer employment opportunities with a meaningful purpose, and employees are
empowered to make a difference as soon as they join the team. It’s an exciting,
creative, and fast-paced environment.
A primary responsibility of the Scientist Product Science will be to
conduct analytical testing and provide results to support product development
and research efforts. It is expected that research will encompass a broad range
of applicability, including, but not limited to the tobacco product category,
most specifically Next Generation Products with increasingly established harm-
reduction potential. Analytical techniques include Liquid Chromatography, Mass
Spectrometry, UV-VIS, Dissolution. Products may include tobacco, tobacco
extracts including pharmaceutical grade nicotine, as well as non-tobacco and
non-nicotine designs. Scientist -Product Science requires a strong fundamental
science background, e.g. Food Science, Chemistry, or Materials Science and the
ability to work in a fast-paced team environment. RAI is a leader in this
category of products.
This position will report through Product Science management and will work with
others on the team to provide analytical data and scientific support to aid
product development across multiple platforms.
The Scientist Product Science must exhibit strong analytical and technica
leadership skills. The scientist will be expected to support the execution of
multiple projects with changing priorities and aggressive timelines. He/she
must be a self-starter, demonstrate competency across multiple analytical
techniques and possess excellent communication skills as he/she must be able to
work in a diverse, multi-functional project team to accomplish the goals. The
incumbent will collaborate across numerous internal functions to deliver
successful outcomes within specified timelines.
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.), Master of Science (M.S.), or
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Food Science, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry,
Material Science or equivalent experience.
* Proficient skills Liquid Chromatography (LC), Mass Spectrometry (LCMS),
* Sound knowledge of basic lab equipment (analytical balances, pipettes,
* Proficient in Microsoft Office and Analytical Software experience
(Empower, MassLynx, Unifi, etc)
* Excellent project management, time management, team collaboration, and
* Ability to engage with stakeholders
* Ability to actively participate in a Team-based environment and
collaboratively work in cross functional teams
* Ability to quickly develop credibility and begin influencing within an
* Strong business and technical writing skills, presentation skills and
attention to detail
* Relevant Industry experience
* Experience with Masshunter
* Experience in LC Method Development
* Proficient skills in other analytical techniques such as: Gas
Chromatography (GCMS, Headspace, SPME, TDU), Dissolution
* Basic knowledge of general lab safety practices and understanding of
chemical SDS s.
* Experience with calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of
laboratory instruments and equipment
* Ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision
* Ability to develop and drive key strategies
* Effective oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated interpersonal skills of dependability and credibility
* Effectively communicate with peers and management
* Ability to drive collaborative efforts cross-functionally
* Competitive Annual Salary
* Targeted Annual Bonus
* Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
* 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up
to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of
employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
* Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
* Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan
based on length of service
* Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
* Confidential personal financial counseling service
* On-site health clinics and fitness centers
* A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double
their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
* Health-care advocacy service
* Volunteer service opportunities
* Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
* Extensive training opportunities
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity /
Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for
motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different
perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company’s potential for
successfully achieving its business objectives.