Research Assistant – Health Physics
Takoma Park, Maryland
Expiry Date :
Sat, 07 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Gryphon Scientific is a small consulting business with a unique focus on physical and life sciences, public health, and program management and evaluation. We capitalize on our staffs rich, past experience in the laboratory, in policy shops and from the field, combined with literature-based research and interview data collection, to tackle projects with complex technical challenges. Our projects drive policy changes in security, preparedness, and science policy at the highest levels of US government. Abroad, we advise governments in the developing world on how to cope with daunting public health challenges. Our aim is to improve the health and safety of populations world-wide. The energy of our small business environment, as well as our commitment to technical excellence, attracts staff with the highest qualifications. Gryphon strongly encourages collaboration throughout the company, between junior and senior staff and across disciplines. Personal and professional development are actively supported through opportunities to work across a wide range of projects. Gryphon boasts a laid-back work environment, a comprehensive employee benefit package, and places an emphasis on work-life balance, which has afforded us excellent employee retention. We are growing and looking for new staff members to join the Gryphon team.
Gryphon Scientific is actively hiring recent graduates with degrees in health physics, nuclear engineering, medical physics, or related fields for a junior research assistant position in Health Physics positions. Gryphon Health Physicists (HPs) are challenged in a wide range of exciting projects. As a Gryphon HP, you will participate in projects focused on the effects of nuclear weapons, homeland security, and radiobiology. Most projects require analysis of publications in professional journals with the goal of extracting and summarizing relevant information. For example, in a project for BARDA, Gryphon HPs examined the efficacy of decorporation agents in reducing radiation injury by researching animal and human studies published in the literature. Other projects will see you applying and expanding your knowledge of radiation transport and emergency response to radiological/nuclear incidents. You will also use your quantitative and analytical skills in developing parameters for mathematical models of radiological dose, injury, and outcomes. Each project will challenge you to think, research and write in new ways. You will not, however, be involved in laboratory work; there is no lab on the premises. The HP Research Assistant will work out of our Takoma Park, MD headquarters.
* Undergraduate degree in health physics, nuclear engineering, medical physics, systematics, biological engineering, biophysics or related field
* Have an interest in homeland security, effects of nuclear weapons, or medical countermeasures to radiation exposure (but not necessarily experience)
* A GPA greater than 3.0 (out of 4.0) in your major
* U.S. Citizen
* Willing to re-locate to the greater Washington, DC, area
* Experience in one or more programming languages (C/C++/C#, Python, Java, FORTRAN, R, MATLAB) or experience in nuclear engineering or health physics codes (MCNP, SCALE, RESRAD, ORIGEN, HOTSPOT, HPAC, MELCOR, etc.)
* Excellent writing skills
* Must be a creative problem solver that likes to tackle complex issues and work through hard problems
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to work independently
Additional Skills and Experience (desired but not required):
* Experience with retrospective dosimetry, acute radiation syndrome, or radiobiology
Salary Range: $40,000 – $50,000
WHY CONSIDER GRYPHON SCIENTIFIC?
* Gryphon Scientific is a place that actively encourages intellectual engagement and provides analytical challenges on a wide range of projects.
* Gryphon Research Assistants who choose to pursue post-graduate education have been very successful. Gryphon alumni have gone on to receive full scholarships at prestigious medical schools (including Vanderbilt and University of Chicago Pritzker), and enroll in competitive PhD programs (UC Berkley) and MPH programs (Johns Hopkins).
* Research Assistants have the opportunity for significant advancement at Gryphon Scientific. With no advanced degree requirements for senior positions, a job with Gryphon can be the start to a rewarding career in scientific consulting.
* You will learn how to read scientific articles and apply the information youve learned, an essential skill in post-graduate programs.
* Gryphon boasts a friendly, laid-back work environment. The dress code is very casual, allowing you to wear to work the same clothes you would wear to class. Gryphon employees often take afternoon walks to the local ice cream or coffee shop.
* Mentorship is taken seriously at Gryphon. There is an open door policy for all staff, meaning you can ask for advice from any staff member, from the owner of the company to your manager to your fellow junior staff.
* Work-life balance is a priority. Research Assistants are rarely asked to take work home with them.
* Gryphon offers a competitive benefits package including 401(k), fully subsidized employee health insurance, and performance and profit-sharing bonuses.
* Gryphon supports professional development including tuition reimbursement, conference attendance and career specific training.