Research Associate B, Biotechnology
Hanover, New Hampshire
Expiry Date :
Fri, 06 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Full-timeEstimated: $52,000 – $65,000 a year41 minutes ago
– Laboratory procedures
– Data collection
– Doctoral degree
Full Job Description
Thayer School of Engineering is one of our nation’s oldest schools of Engineering. The faculty, unencumbered by departmental divisions, foster cross-disciplinary innovation in research and teaching. This Staff Scientist position plays a critical role in a research laboratory providing research services to investigators who are at the cutting edge of HIV, Polio, and COVID-19 vaccine development by offering a suite of biophysical characterization techniques for analysis of immune responses. This is accomplished by guiding a small group of research assistants in data collection using established assays as well as developing novel assay platforms, assay optimization and validation, and maximizing productivity of the laboratory through efficient organization and administration of laboratory staff.
To contribute to the understanding of immune responses by independently designing, conducting, and analyzing research studies, while ensuring the facility continues to be state of the art.
– Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field (e.g. immunology, biochemistry, or molecular biology)
– Two plus years of postdoctoral/industry experience with high degree of autonomy OR four years of relevant research experience and some management experience with high degree of autonomy
– Willingness to work with hazardous materials such as infectious materials, human and simian bodily fluids, and/or hazardous chemicals.
– Ability to lift a 50 pound container of reagent.
– Ability to produce scientifically rigorous results, figures, presentations, and written material for publication
– Critical thinking skills to develop and implement experiments independently
– Breadth of knowledge in biochemistry and immunology, including state of the art techniques
– Ability to learn, develop, and new techniques
– Strong organization skills and ability to respond appropriately to pressures, deadlines, and frequent changes in priorities and schedules
– Ability to interact with others with tact and diplomacy
– Initiative, sound judgment, and ability to work independently
– Highly proficient with computer applications
– Ability to lead and direct others
– Familiarity with basic laboratory procedures and equipment
– Perform single and multiplexed immunoassays using the Luminex and MSD instrument platforms in 96 and 384-well formats.
– Expand platforms to improve breadth of biophysical characterization techniques currently used.
– As necessary, develops and/or implements new or modified research methods, procedures, and techniques to meet the unique requirements of assigned research problems.
– Identifies, troubleshoots, and corrects or recommends solutions to problems associated with experimental design, methods, procedures, and techniques; or equipment and facilities.
– Improves laboratory throughput by optimization of experimental methods, as well as integration of novel tools to improve process.
– Adheres to laboratory standard operating procedures, to ensure Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP), including careful documentation and strict protocol adherence.
– As needed, design experiments to validate current platforms previously developed in the Ackerman lab to ensure reproducibility and accuracy.
– Collects, analyzes, and interprets data resulting from experimentation.
– Performs literature searches to develop information of relevance to the research.
– Prepares appropriate and understandable representations of data such as sequences, graphs, charts, etc.
– Participates in the preparation of reports and presentations of the research findings. Presents at internal laboratory meetings.
– Interact with the Ackerman, Bailey-Kellogg, Lee, and Griswold groups at weekly lab meetings through attendance and presentations.
– Contributes to the preparation of scientific manuscripts by drafting portions of the text, preparing graphs, tables, and charts, etc.
– Conducts literature searches to develop insights into the significance of experimental results and to acquire information on new or improved methods, procedures and techniques.
– Manages a team of operators who will provide assistance in core operations, development, and maintenance.
– Ensures timely collection of data by managing operator performance and planning.
– Ensures that study documentation is maintained with diligence
– Preforms quality checks on all data to ensure data integrity and validity
– Adheres to laboratory safety requirements including general and chemical/hazardous waste safety disposal methods.
– Instructs others in laboratory methods, procedures, and techniques and provides technical guidance and direction as required.
– Oversees day-to-day care and housekeeping of laboratory.
– Monitors laboratory equipment and instrument performance; obtains maintenance and repair as necessary.
– Maintains computerized records associated with laboratory activities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon available funds.
This position is a 12-month term position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Job Type: Full-time
– Day shift
– Monday to Friday
Please visit: to learn more about how we are responding to COVID-19.
– Doctorate (Required)
– United States (Required)
– Do you have two plus years of postdoctoral/industry experience with high degree of autonomy OR four years of relevant research experience and some management experience with high degree of autonomy?
– One location
Show full job description