Research Associate II
South San Francisco, California
Expiry Date :
Sun, 16 May 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
The complex ecosystem of bacteria that comprise our gut microbiome is inextricably linked to the quality of human health. Federation Bio is a start-up company poised to leverage the power of active microbial communities to address high unmet medical needs. Our approach lies at the intersection of microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and genomics and uniquely enables us to harness the power of the microbiome and define the potential of this new therapeutic modality.
Federation Bio was founded by two leading academics in the microbiome field (Stanford Professors Michael Fischbach and Dylan Dodd) as well as Venrock, one of the oldest venture capital funds in the United States.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Research Associate II to play a key role in our microbial engineering and immunology efforts. A successful candidate is required to have experience with microbial cultivation, molecular cloning, and isolating primary immune cells for in vitro and ex vivo functional assays. You will be contributing towards the preclinical development of microbiome-based therapeutics for various autoimmune and oncology indications. You will also be responsible for genetically engineering bacterial strains isolated from the human microbiome and performing animal studies to test their immunological effects in vivo. The ideal candidate will have deep understanding of molecular microbiology, cellular immunology, microbiome-host immune interactions in the context of health and inflammatory disease. The candidate should be meticulous in experimental planning and execution with emphasis on scientific rigor and integrity. You will be an adaptable and collaborative team member, and play a critical role in the design and development of microbiome therapeutics at the absolute forefront of the field.
Core responsibilities and opportunities are:
* Molecular biology
* Cloning PCR, mini-prep, Gibson assembly, genetic manipulation of bacteria
* qPCR for microbial gene expression analysis
* Extraction of microbial genomic DNA from complex biological samples for next generation sequencing
* Detection of protein expression by Western Blot
* Cultivation of fastidious and anaerobic microbes
* CFU determination by serial dilution plating
* Bacterial enumeration by Coulter counting
* Colony identification by MALDI, 16S sequencing
* Isolation and culturing of primary innate and adaptive immune cells from mouse lymphoid organs
* In vitro antigen-presentation assays
* Detection of functional immune responses using flow cytometry, ELISA
* Keen attention to detail and careful record keeping skills
* Thoughtfully analyze, interpret and present data to research team leads
* Keep precise experimental records and enter data into databases
* Assist in ordering and organizing laboratory supplies and equipment
* Excellent verbal and written communication to ensure optimal information and material sharing
* Be flexible and adaptive to learn new laboratory techniques as needed to support cross-functional research team
* Work rigorously as an individual and passionately as part of a team
* Experience working with human commensal bacteria
* Experience with culturing primary mouse cells and immortalized cell lines
* Experience with animal procedures such as oral gavage, subcutaneous, intraperitoneal, retroorbital injections
* Experience with in vivo models of bacterial colonization in germ-free and gnotobiotic animals
* Strong organizational and computer skills including familiarity with electronic notebook keeping software
* B.A., . or . in microbiology, immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, or related field
* PhD-level candidates are also encouraged to apply and will be considered for a more senior role
* At least 2-3 years prior experience in a microbiology, immunology or molecular biology laboratory, preferably in an industry setting
At Federation Bio, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each others assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
This opportunity is full-time only. No contractors, consultancies or recruiters will be considered.