RESEARCH SPECIALIST GALMOZZI LAB
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Expiry Date :
Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Full-time1 hour ago
– Time management
– Laboratory experience
– Adobe Illustrator
– Cell culture
– Bachelor’s degree
Full Job Description
The Galmozzi Lab seeks a Research Specialist to support studies focused on the identification of novel therapeutic approaches to treat metabolic disorders, such as obesity and diabetes. The Galmozzi Lab uses several experimental models, including primary cultures derived from adipose tissue and liver, and animal models of obesity and type 2 diabetes. We molecular biology and biochemistry techniques to understand how cells respond to intracellular variations of signaling metabolites. The successful candidate will serve as a laboratory assistant. The job responsibilities will include preparing reagents for the lab, ordering and restocking supplies, lab organization, and providing support to other lab members in carrying out research experiments. This position requires a very motivated candidate to help launch a new lab.
The School of Medicine and Public Health has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
List of Duties
Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background – people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
Degree and Area of Specialization:
BA/BS in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related field is required.
Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
– At least one year of research experience in a laboratory setting is required. Lab experience during undergraduate training would be considered as well.
– Lab experience in at least one of the following techniques is required: cell culture, molecular biology, mass spectrometry
– Understanding of chemistry methods
– Experience in general laboratory methods, including preparation of buffers and sterile technique
– Proficient with computer programs essential for record keeping, i.e. Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Illustrator
– Interest or experience in bioinformatics
– Experience with mass spectrometry techniques (proteomics, metabolomics)
– Experience in rodent handling
– Experience in bacterial cell culture and basic microbiological methods
This position is being posted at 3 levels: Associate, No Prefix and Senior. Prefix assignment will be determined by years of relevant work experience. A minimum of 7 years’ experience is required for appointment at the senior level.
– Strong organizational skills, including record keeping and time management
– Strong communication skills and ability to interact effectively with lab members
This is a terminal position lasting two years. There is a possibility it may be made renewable if there is a need for an ongoing appointment and/or funding becomes available.
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment.
Full Time: 100%
Appointment Type, Duration:
Terminal, 23 month appointment.
This position has the possibility to be extended or converted to an ongoing appointment based on need and/or funding
Minimum $32,056 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Show full job description