Scientist II, Single Cell with Childhood Cancer Data Initiative (REQ1726)
Frederick National Laboratory
Expiry Date :
Thu, 08 Apr 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
SCIENTIST II, SINGLE CELL WITH CHILDHOOD CANCER DATA INITIATIVE
Job ID: req1726
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Location: NIH Campus 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community and provides dedicated support to NCI’s intramural Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The dedicated units provide expertise in electron microscopy, protein characterization, mass spectrometry, protein expression, optical microscopy, and genomics. These research efforts are an integral part of CCR at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR), where CRTP scientists work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to work with the NCI Center for Cancer Research (CCR) Single Cell Analysis Facility (SCAF) to provide dedicated single cell sequencing and related technology support for the intramural Childhood Cancer Data Initiative (CCDI). This will include close collaboration with CCDI Investigators to generate high-quality datasets for multiple projects using established single cell methods and help validate and employ emerging technologies. A major goal of this Initiative is to establish tumor cell atlases for rare pediatric malignancies.
* Oversee day-to-day management of the dedicated single cell support for intramural CCDI led by the NCI Pediatric Oncology Branch (POB)
* Train and coordinate work of other CCDI-SCAF staff members, and serve as liaison to accomplish project goals
* Work with CCDI Investigators, CCR-SCAF, and others to identify, validate, and employ new single cell methods
* Possession of a PhD degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) appropriate to biomedical research or eight (8) years of related experience. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
* In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of two years (2) work experience beyond the doctorate is required for appointment at this level
* Strong background in cell and molecular biology, with familiarity of current single cell sequencing methods
* Experience in next generation sequencing, including quality control, library preparation and data handling
* Familiarity with diverse sample types and processing methods, including cell suspensions and tissue blocks / sections
* Must be detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
* Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
* Knowledge and background experience in cancer biology and immunology
* Familiarity with downstream single cell sequencing applications
* Experience in standard histo-pathology methods and microscopy
* Experience working in a core facility or other team-based environment
* Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
* This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)