Shin-Etsu Silicones of America
Paramus, New Jersey
Expiry Date :
Sat, 19 Dec 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
The Senior Chemist is responsible for formulating all types of skin care, sun care, color cosmetics, and hair care products showcasing Shin-Etsus materials. They will provide technical support assisting sales staff and customers, attend customer visits to give presentations, and assist in training of distributers.
* Understand Shin-Etsus materials and technologies and develop formulations to demonstrate the benefits and applications of these materials and technologies.
* Perform customer focused formulation work based on sales/customer request. Create solutions through creativity and resourcefulness. Reformulate and resubmit based on feedback.
* Maintain focus on application and formulation of personal care products (color/skin/hair care).
* Develop detailed lab scale process for success. This includes order of addition, critical raw materials and processing parameters, bench standard and benchmark, and lab scale preliminary specification and test results.
* Create new raw material applications and formulations as well as new consumer end product applications and formulations. Maintain continuous improvement of existing raw material applications and formulations.
* Develop technical methodologies and out of the box thinking for illustrating proof of concept.
* Provide technical support to sales staff and customer; participate on account teams and teleconferences
* Participate in training of distributors/customers with the ability to conduct the training when needed.
* Prepare and present technical presentations on independent research projects.
* Work closely with junior chemists and technicians to teach, coordinate, and collaborate on projects leading to well-planned and executed bench work and successful sample submissions.
* Local travel to customers and trade shows on occasion which may involve domestic flying. (International travel may be considered).
* Understand competitive environments in silicone and other raw material technologies and maintain awareness of industry trends.
* Meet with raw material vendors to learn about new technologies and new raw materials that can be utilized to create/improve innovative technology offerings.
* Collaborate as a key team member contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, and experiences with a strong team spirit.
* Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry is strongly preferred but will consider other science related degrees.
* Must have 5+ years experience of emulsion formulating and in-depth experience managing product development from inception, through testing, scale up, and transition to manufacturing.
* Hair care experience is a plus.
* Technical skills and abilities must include: Read and interpret written instructions and analyze data. Strong scientific summarizing. Evaluate formulas, interpret results and communicate improvements. Expertise with Microsoft Office, Word, Power Point, and Excel. Proficiency with operating the following instrumentation: viscometer, pH meter, homogenizer, and microscope.
* Communication skills and abilities must include: Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills. Work effectively as a leader and within a team environment. Behave in a professional manner and have a good understanding of proper email etiquette. Present in a public presentation.
* Leadership skills and abilities must include: Take direction and carry out instructions from the manager in an orderly and efficient manner. Function as a team member in a closely knit group. Provide technical advice, support, guidance and development to less experienced team members.
* Work style skills and abilities must include: Driven, detail oriented, self-starter able to handle challenging technical business needs and opportunities. Multi-task and work independently with limited supervision. Independent thinker capable of working in a collaborative environment. Identify and eliminate potential problem areas with out of the box thinking style.
* This position operates primarily in a cosmetics laboratory environment.
* The role routinely uses standard lab equipment such as pH meters, viscometers, homogenizer, overhead mixer, microscope, and other instrumentation relevant to analysis including a variety of hand tools.
* Performs close, detailed work: prepare and test samples, report results
* Stands/walks (4hrs/day or more) in various labs
* Works near or with mechanical equipment
* Works with computerized equipment and database entry
* Handles organic solvents, silicones, powders, volatile fluids, acids and bases, nitrogen gas
* The benefits at Shin-Etsu Silicones include: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, 401(k) with company match, 10-paid holidays, vacation and personal time off, competitive salary.
* In addition to the benefits listed above, Shin-Etsu also offers: Job stability and security, excellent growth opportunities, a safe and clean work environment, a great reputation in the industry as a leading silicone manufacturer, an exceptional culture.