Senior Formulation Chemist Herbicides
Spectrum Brands (UK)
Expiry Date :
Fri, 06 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Senior Formulation Chemist – Herbicides
Job number: US11466
Position type Regular
Function Global Product Development
Posting Date: Aug-01-2020
Spectrum Brands – The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide, Hot Shot, Cutter, Repel, Black Flag, Garden Safe, EcoLogic and Liquid Fence.
This position is based in metropolitan St. Louis, Missouri and will require relocation
Oversee projects and product development activities for herbicide and fungicide formulations. This position applies broad formulation and active ingredient knowledge, implements project plans and prioritizes product development investments for existing and new formulations for the consumer products market.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
– Leads formulation and product development program designed to meet business objectives for herbicides and fungicides for the consumer market (generally 5-10 projects annually) with internal resources, external research cooperators, and collaborators
– Leads compound dilution, preparation, formulation and application of test solutions
– Designs and implements tests to answer specific research questions
– Ensures technical information meets the highest scientific standards, and provides quality technical results, data interpretation and summarization to support and reinforce product positioning and business recommendations developed from these results
– Oversees the development and tracking of integrated project plans
– Establishes and maintains project communications, oversees project estimations and the development of project deliverables, and establishes and maintains processes to manage scope throughout the project life cycle
– Identifies and leads resolution of project issues
– Serves as the resident expert for herbicides and fungicides and provides product development and technical understanding; primary contact to Marketing and Sales for Controls
– Identifies new development/commercial opportunities and makes recommendations necessary to promote decisions that benefit the business
– Develops and oversees protocols for testing formulations in support of marketing product claims
– Trains new department personnel
– Supervises other R & D Staff
– Responsible for lab supply budget
– Provides input for Capital Purchases
– Complies with all company policies and procedures
Education and Experience Profile
– Bachelor’s degree in weed science, plant pathology, or related technical field or commensurate experience (a minimum of 10 years). Master’s degree preferred.
– 5+ years experience in Product Development of herbicide and/or fungicide products in consumer or turf and/or ornamentals markets.
– Experience conducting weed control trials to evaluate herbicides with respect to efficacy
– Skilled at interacting and communicating with internal and external customers and peers
– Excellent oral and written communication, and presentation skills, flexibility in shifting among projects
– Strong organizational and time management skills
– Project and people leadership experience
– Knowledge of statistical analyses
– Knowledge of laboratory operations and safety requirements.
– Thorough understanding of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) requirements.
– PC skills (spreadsheet, word processing, presentations).
– Good communication skills, both written and oral.
– Ability to work well in a team environment.
– Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
– Ability to manage projects independently.
50% laboratory environment and 50% normal office environment
Travel up to 15%.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.