West Menlo Park, California
Expiry Date :
Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
Do you want to develop prenatal diagnostics that can affect the lives of millions of expecting parents? BillionToOne (Y Combinator S17) is looking for a quantitative scientist or bioengineer to develop our product pipeline. We transform diagnostics to be truly grounded in quantitative principles and improve resolution of cell-free DNA testing by >1000x fold. Our Senior Scientists serve as principal investigators with significant resources and own end-to-end research and product development. This is an extremely impactful position, appropriate for an inspired scientist and extraordinary problem solver.
* Learn, use and modify our custom R/Python code for experimental design purposes, and complement them with bioinformatic tools as needed to design probes for diagnostic tests
* Plan and develop the research strategy
* Design and perform experiments to validate diagnostic/screening assays
* Analyze experiments and troubleshoot them as necessary
* Read the literature from chemistry and molecular biology to synthetic biology, bioengineering, and statistical learning fields to find creative opportunities for further improvements in our assays.
* Mathematically/computationally model experimental processes to iterate on the research strategy and assay development
Who You Are:
* PhD in biological sciences, bioengineering, biophysics or related discipline with molecular biology lab experience
* A deep quantitative understanding of and approach to biology
* A strong background in physics, applied mathematics or mathematical biology (i.e., you intuitively understand concepts such as error propagation, probability distributions, Markov models, Monte Carlo simulations, phase diagrams etc.)
* Ability to analyze data and model biological processes in R or Python
* Knowledge of data structures and algorithms and familiarity with industry tools (Github, command line, AWS)
* Next-generation-sequencing experience
* A deep understanding of or experience with nucleic acid chemistry
* Previous industry or startup experience
More About Us:
BillionToOne has developed a DNA molecular counter that increases the cell-free DNA diagnostics resolution by over 1,000 fold. We are the only technology platform that can detect single-gene disorders in an unborn baby from maternal blood and that can accurately quantify copy number variation (CNV) changes in cancer patients. Our first product, UNITY, is the only NIPT that accurately detects single gene disorders such as cystic fibrosis and sickle cell in the baby from a blood test of the mother. UNITY covers all inherited disorders that every pregnancy needs to be tested for and has 98.5%+ sensitivity and 99%+ specificity.
BillionToOne has raised ~$35M from top US and international investors, and our sample volume is growing >100% every quarter. Check out a simplified introduction to our technology and its potential to transform molecular diagnostics:
We offer highly competitive salary and benefits combined with a truly generous equity package. You will be working on interesting problems with extremely high-impact.
BillionToOne is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.