Senior Scientist, Drug Product Development
Expiry Date :
Fri, 06 Nov 2020 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
By clicking the Apply button, I understand that my employment applic
process with Takeda will commence and that I agree with Takeda s Privacy
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support
your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join
us as a Senior Scientist, Drug Product Development in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-
driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower
our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as
a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and
strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive,
collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering
commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring,
As a Senior Scientist working in the Drug Product Development team, you will be
empowered to design, execute and/or manages phase appropriate formulation and
process development studies encompassing all activities from early phase
formulation to manufacturing process validation.
The Senior Scientist is expected to provide technical leadership on product
development activities encompassing different modalities including small
molecules, microbiome, oligonucleotides and peptides. The Senior Scientist is
responsible for independently planning and execution of drug product
development activities including Drug Discovery support, Pre-formulation,
Formulation/Process Development, Tech Transfer, Clinical Manufacturing and
Regulatory Filing supports. The Senior Scientist line function on
Pharmaceutical Sciences teams and will provide theoretical/conceptual input to
the design, development and execution of research assignments for drug product
* Designs, executes and/or manages phase appropriate formulation and
process development studies encompassing all activities from early phase
formulation to manufacturing process validation with inputs from manager
* Manage CROs and CMOs to support drug product development and GMP
manufacturing of the drug product.
* Responsible for drug product manufacturing activities at CMO s
including master batch records, protocols GMP manufacturing, batch
release, deviations, investigations, CAPA s and change controls.
* Author/review internal development reports, CMC sections of IND/IMPD/NDA
and responses in support of regulatory filings/queries.
* Represent DPD group on cross functional CMC teams and leverage strategic
understanding of the project and CMC priorities to plan/coordinate the
drug product development studies with cross-functional peers.
* Provide project progress updates/reports to manager to ensure management
is engaged and aware of the project strategy, current activities and
* Serves as subject matter expert and contributes actively to complex/
multiple projects or functional areas through leading or influencing
* Lead and support departmental (or cross functional) key initiatives to
drive scientific and technical innovations.
* Ensures a productive, respectful and development-rich environment;
provides training/mentoring for junior staff.
* Proactively identifies vendors and builds relationships to gain access to
technologies as needed to deliver on pipeline goals.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
* Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and Cell
* Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
* Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and
* Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data,
verbally and in writing
* Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility
and confidence within and outside the company
* Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible
* Executive leadership presence and confidence
* Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role
models these behaviors for the organization
* Ability to develop and drive a Global Workforce and Talent strategy for
all colleagues in the Global, Regional and Local organizations
* Broad decision-making responsibilities
o Ability to make highly complex decisions that impact the enterprise
o Accountable for decision making for Cell Therapy
o Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and
stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
o Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made
swiftly to yield flawless execution
* Accountable for designing and implementing vision and strategy for
* Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and
leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging
* Ability to effectively implement R&D s partnership strategy
* Effectively represent Takeda in High-level negotiations with the ability
to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
* Ability to build strong partnerships and drive role clarity with other
interfacing Takeda functions
* Visionary and forward thinking with the ability to influence and
effectively drive organizational change and continuous innovation
* Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative
* Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating
time to market
* Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high
degree of complexity
* Breadth of knowledge required across therapeutic areas, indications, and/
* Must have a degree in a related scientific discipline.
* BS with at least eleven (11) years, MS/PharmD with at least nine (9)
years or a PhD with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in Product
Development in the Pharmaceutical industry is required.
* Extensive experience and demonstrated track record in several drug
product development activities such as Drug Discovery support, Pre-
formulation, Early phase formulation development, formulation
characterization, manufacturing process development, tech transfer, scale
up and validation.
* Technical expertise in development of oral or parenteral products with
demonstrated experience in one or more formulation techniques including
but not limited to solubilization, spray drying, hot melt extrusion,
nanoparticles, dry/wet granulation, tablet compression, Wurster process,
tablet coating, encapsulation, liquid fill/finish and aseptic processing.
* Good working knowledge of common analytical techniques such as HPLC, DSC,
TGA, XRPD, IR/Raman spectroscopy and particle size analysis techniques.
* Extensive experience in CMC pharmaceutical development for drug products
under cGMP s.
* Previous experience contributing to regulatory filings.
* Ability to work independently, take initiatives, and complete tasks to
meet the deadlines.
* Strong team player.
* Must be capable of handling multiple projects with competing timelines
and must be able to make complex decisions.
* Must possess solid communication skills as well as organizational skills.
* Demonstrated leadership skills Develops and uses knowledge and
interpersonal skills to appropriately influence and guide others towards
the accomplishment of department/function goals and objectives.
* Requires occasional travel to various meetings or vendor sites
* Some international travel may be required
* Hands-on laboratory work is required
* May require approximately 10% – 20% travel
* 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
* Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
* Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health
* Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional
* Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please
Show moreShow less