Senior Scientist Molecular Biology
San Carlos, California
Expiry Date :
Sun, 20 Jun 2021 23:59:59 GMT
Apply Job :
We are seeking a talented and driven Research & Development Scientist to join our dynamic and fast-paced start-up. The successful candidate will be involved in early-stage research through product development of new molecular assays for detection and characterization of microorganisms in clinical (Clear Dx platform) and food safety (Clear Safety platform) applications.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
* Develop novel DNA/RNA molecular assays utilizing next-generation sequencing (NGS)-based technologies
* Optimize assays to achieve a high level of stability, robustness, and performance.
* Perform verification and validation testing with a high degree of scientific rigor.
* Provide technical leadership for experimental design and data analysis.
* Be a key contributor to the product design, including vetting user requirements and translating requirements into design specifications for the development of high quality, customer-focused products.
* Stay abreast of technological advances and implement as appropriate for product improvements (performance, COGs, throughput, etc.).
* Demonstrate the feasibility of new methods, and efficiently move products through pipeline up to and including transfer to manufacturing and scale-up.
* Identify and mitigate product and project risks.
* Contribute to both internal and customer-related troubleshooting efforts.
* Document work, and create presentations to communicate progress and assist with decision making.
* Conduct clear and concise communication with colleagues (cross-functional) and supervisors through oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings.
* Be both a strong individual contributor as well as a collaborative team member.
* Mentor junior scientists.
* PhD or equivalent in molecular biology, genetics, genomics, microbiology, biochemistry or related fields.
* Deep technical knowledge in genomic methodologies (RT-PCR, multiplex PCR, nucleic acid quantitation) and a comprehensive knowledge of NGS sample preparation and sequencing methods are required
* 3 or more years experience in commercial product development (industrial or academic setting)
* Be hands-on in the lab and be able to work in a team environment and independently
* Demonstrated ability to plan hypothesis-driven experiments, analyze data sets, interpret results, document reports and present results
* Experience with design, execution, and analysis of DOEs
* Experience with bioinformatic analysis of NGS datasets using R, Python, etc. will be a plus
* Adept at troubleshooting and root cause analysis
* Excellent oral and written interdisciplinary communication skills
* Be highly committed, operate well under pressure and deliver results in a fast-paced, technically challenging environment
* Team player with strong interpersonal skills
* Can do attitude, resourcefulness to adapt and high energy are desirable attributes
Comprehensive medical, dental, vision insurance
Lunch onsite 5 days a week